Title: Sales Manager, B2B Materials
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, with regular travel to customers as needed
Reports to: Director of Business Development, B2B Materials
Checkerspot is a biotechnology company that designs high performance ingredients and materials for a better planet. Our Wing® Platform enables our biology and design labs to develop, test, and commercialize award-winning products that aim to reduce global dependence on fossil fuels and other unsustainable sources of oil. We seek to accelerate the adoption of renewable, biobased products that engage directly with consumers to show and prove what is possible in hardgoods, textile finishes, and personal care. Founded as a public benefit corporation in 2016, and earning B Corp Certification in 2020, our team is committed to high standards of purpose, accountability and transparency.
Our company culture can best be understood through experience. Come get to know us! We’d like to be known more by what we do than what we say.
We seek an ambitious, mission driven, creative problem solver to contribute to our B2B Materials sales efforts as our Sales Manager, B2B Materials. This position reports to the Director of Business Development, B2B Materials and is responsible for achieving company revenue goals for our current bio-based polyurethane (PU) resins and materials. You will develop industry specific strategies by working with consumer brands, their factories, and external suppliers. This role is an integral contributor to Checkerspot’s key priority of revenue growth, by delivering polyurethane products to existing customers and creating a pipeline of opportunities for new material development. The successful individual has a “hunter” mentality, is comfortable with initial outreach, key stakeholder identification, relationship building, and working alongside the Material Science team to implement our product line into multiple market verticals. Driving outbound opportunities based on our materials product/market fit, working closely with our Material Science team, and taking an active role in managing our existing portfolio of partners are key activities for this role. This is a highly collaborative role with significant customer facing responsibilities. It requires establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with Checkerspot’s internal leaders and stakeholders as well as customers and their suppliers.
● Drive sales of Checkerspot’s polyurethane systems and materials, from lead generation through purchase and adoption
● Responsible for meeting B2B sales goals for established polyurethane product categories
● Establish and maintain effective customer relationships to understand customer needs, promote customer understanding of Checkerspot’s value proposition, and align to provide a solution
● Establish product-market fit and develop strategy for expansion into new verticals
● Be the voice of the customer internally, proactively raise awareness and ensure corrective action towards product quality improvement
● Support applications development team in clearly defining Critical to Quality (CTQs) from all stakeholders
● Act as lead point of contact for external brand partners to establish credibility and garner trust
● Collaborate with technical marketing and engineering departments to integrate quality control and technical datasheet management
● Accountable for building a strong safety culture and actively pursuing it daily; identify unsafe behaviors and conditions and intervene to mitigate incidents
● Various Duties as assigned
● 5+ years of experience in materials sales. Experience selling polyurethane systems, and/or selling to outdoor brands, is a plus.
● Deep experience working with consumer product brands and their manufacturers/factories
● History of working cross functionally and as part of a sales team
● Experience commercializing products with a material-based value proposition
● Effective communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing
● Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time, domestic and international
Checkerspot offers its employees a competitive benefits and compensation package. The base pay range for this role is $100,000-$120,000 annually. Your base will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Checkerspot is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com.