Title: Senior Accountant
Location: Alameda, CA or Salt Lake City, CA
Reports to: Corporate Controller
Checkerspot designs performance materials at a molecular level with technology at the nexus of biology and chemistry. By engaging directly with product users and partnering with socially responsible corporations, we design and bring to market superior products with better materials to meet real needs.
Our first materials are next-gen polyurethanes and textile coatings/finishes that make consumer products perform at levels never before possible. We launched WNDR Alpine, an outdoor recreation brand whose first product is a high performance ski, the Intention 110. We are readying the release of several other outdoor recreation products in the market to validate our approach and to kickstart a sequence of iterative projects based on our technology.
Through large scale microbial fermentation, we can deliver unique oils discovered in nature, but not previously accessible commercially. Our initial focus is on triglycerides that can impart high value physical properties for materials by leveraging unique molecular scaffolds. Our approach is also more sustainable than relying on petrochemical inputs.
Our company culture can best be understood through experience. We’d like to be known more by what we do than what we say.
We seek an enthusiastic, team oriented, problem solver to join our accounting team to assist with critical accounting functions. The role will report to the Corporate Controller and will be responsible for the order to cash cycle, tax, closing activities and processes, as well as other financial systems support.This is a highly collaborative role. It requires establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with the Checkerspot’s key internal leaders and stakeholders in order
to ensure that there is a free flow of ideas and information across the business, leading to strategy formulation and overall business performance enhancement.
● Responsible for a timely month-end close, including the preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations, in accordance with U.S. GAAP
● Recommend improvements to streamline and/or automate month-end journal entries and processes to enable a 5-day close
● Prepare month-end financial statements and assist with management analysis and reporting
● Responsible for Corporate tax compliance including but not limited to working with external tax consultant to file timely Corporate income tax returns
● Responsible for all timely corporate registrations and licenses
● Work with business partners and accounting manager to streamline and ensure accuracy of information from integrated systems of record (eCommerce, Hubspot, Inventory, Purchasing)
● Develop and maintain accounting policies & procedures and monitor compliance thereto
● Maintain and manage stock administration system
● Support other projects as assigned
● Accountable for building a strong safety culture and actively pursue it daily; identify unsafe behaviors and conditions and intervene to mitigate incidents
● Whenever opportunities arise within and/or across functions, supporting Checkerspot’s stated Public Benefits of promoting environmental stewardship, developing more sustainable materials, and democratizing materials and tools for innovative product development for the betterment of local communities.
● And other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
● Minimum of 5 years of general accounting experience and 1+ years of management experience
● Knowledge of U.S. GAAP accounting and application of accounting principles
● SOX 404 experience is a plus
● Intermediate to Advance Excel and Pivot table skills
● Proficiency in Google suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides), Microsoft Suite, Google Drive, and Slack
● Experience with Netsuite, Coupa, Carta and HRIS systems a plus
● Strong quantitative, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills required to identify and resolve issues
● Excellent time management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and multitask, and deliver under constantly shifting deadlines
● Team player and self-starter with the ability to act independently as well as collaboratively across the business
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Ability to work in cross-functional teams, comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
● Committed to the highest standards for protecting confidentiality, data integrity and
At Checkerspot, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay for this role is between $80,000 and $100,000/annually. Your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience and location.
Checkerspot offers its employees a competitive benefits and compensation package. Checkerspot is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or
any other legally protected basis.