Title: Senior Director of Business Development, B2B Materials
Location: Remote, with regular travel to Salt Lake City, Utah & customers as needed
Reports to: Head of B2B Commercial Development
Checkerspot is a design-centric, high-performance materials company. Advances in our understanding of biology, chemistry, and materials science are aligning with advances in computational, experimental and fabrication tools, unleashing capabilities we once only imagined. By engaging directly with product users and partnering with socially and environmentally responsible corporations, we design and bring to market more sustainable high- performance materials. We believe in open-minded innovation from concept to consumer, listening to impassioned pioneers every step of the way.
Our company culture can best be understood through experience. Come get to know us! We’d like to be known more by what we do than what we say.
We seek an ambitious, mission driven, creative problem solver to lead our B2B Materials sales efforts as Senior Director of Business Development, B2B Materials. This position reports to the Head of B2B Commercial Development and is responsible for achieving company materials revenue goals for our current bio-based polyurethane (PU) resins and materials. You will develop industry specific strategies by working at the interface of consumer brands, their internal factories, and external suppliers.
This role is an integral contributor to Checkerspot’s key priority of revenue growth, through delivering commercial PU products to existing external customers and creating a pipeline of opportunities for new material development. The successful individual will be comfortable with initial outreach, key stakeholder identification, relationship building, and working alongside the material science team to implement our product line into winter sports applications and additional market sectors. Driving outbound opportunities based on our PU materials product/market fit, working closely with our Material Science team, and taking an active role in managing our existing portfolio of partners are key activities for this role. This is a highly collaborative role with significant customer facing responsibilities. It requires establishing collaborative and trusting relationships with Checkerspot’s internal leaders and stakeholders as well as customers and contract manufacturing organizations.
● Responsible for meeting B2B sales goals for established polyurethane product categories
● Establish product-market fit and develop strategy for expansion into new verticals
● Build a team of sales representatives to grow market share
● Drive sales of Checkerspot’s polyurethane systems and materials, from lead generation through purchase and adoption
● Identify commercial partners that meet strategic B2B needs and facilitate mutual technology transfer
● Establish and maintain effective customer relationships to understand customer needs, promote
customer understanding of Checkerspot’s value proposition, and align to provide a solution
● Be the voice of the customer internally, proactively raise awareness and ensure corrective action
towards product quality improvement
● Support applications development team in clearly defining Critical to Quality (CTQs) from all stakeholders
● Act as lead point of contact for external brand partners to establish credibility and garner trust
● Manage commercial product lines in close cooperation with marketing and communications teams to ensure alignment with overall Checkerspot brand strategy
● Collaborate with technical marketing and engineering departments to integrate quality control and technical datasheet management
● Help define opportunities for development projects to expand PU portfolio into adjacent market segments
● Accountable for building a strong safety culture and actively pursuing it daily; identify unsafe behaviors and conditions and intervene to mitigate incidents
● Various Duties as assigned
● 15+ years of experience in business development or product development with a B2B component
● Deep experience working at the interface between consumer product brand and their manufacturers/factories
● History of working cross functionally and managing sales teams
● Experience commercializing products with a material-based value proposition
● Effective communicator, able to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner both verbally and in writing
● Strong people development and leadership skills; able to manage extended or virtual teams
● Willingness to travel up to 30% of the time
Checkerspot offers its employees a competitive benefits and compensation package. The base pay range for this role is $160,000-$215,000 annually and your base will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Checkerspot is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.