Title: Research Associate, Fermentation Development
Location: Alameda, CA
Supervisor: Scientist III, Fermentation & Bioproduct Manufacturing
We seek an enthusiastic, team oriented, problem solver to join our Fermentation Development Team.
- Assist in the planning and execution of fermentation experiments in a team environment including clean-up, set-up, operations, sampling, analysis, interpretation, reporting, and presentation of data
- Conduct benchtop, flask experiments to support fermentation development
- Assess performance of microbial strains, their evaluation and characterization through method based, reproducible lab techniques
- Assist in testing and optimization of new equipment and/or fermentation processes
- Create organized records and maintain high-quality documentation for newly developed approaches
- Accountable for building a strong safety culture and actively pursue it daily; identify unsafe behaviors and conditions and intervene to mitigate incidents
- Whenever opportunities arise within and/or across functions, supporting Checkerspot’s stated Public Benefits of promoting environmental stewardship, developing more sustainable materials, and democratizing materials and tools for innovative product development for the betterment of local communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Microbiology, Bioprocess Engineering, and 1-2 years of relevant experience. Post-educational fermentation experience highly desirable, including set-up, operation, and maintenance of lab and/or pilot-scale bioreactors
- Ability to analyze and interpret fermentation data; troubleshoot and problem solve critical issues
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to interact with colleagues at all levels
- Ability to successfully work in a project-driven and team-oriented environment
- Experience with a variety of bench scale fermentation bioreactors a plus
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs (raw materials) with assistance
JOIN OUR TEAM
If you are interested in joining us at Checkerspot, please send your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with the position you are applying for in the subject line.